Tuesday, September 3, 2013

An experiment meets an old favorite: Spicy Sausage and Bean Stuffed Acorn Squash

I have a new love: Field Roast Mexican chipotle sausage.

YUM!
Remember in my breakfast burrito post when I talked about my love for Mexican chorizo? This stuff tastes just like chorizo! Only, it's made from far more appetizing ingredients than pork lymph nodes (Seriously. I can't believe I used to eat that.). I'm also impressed that something made outside of the Southwest that says "chipotle" on it is seriously spicy! My extra links are going to make a fantastic breakfast scramble with tofu.

Tonight the sausage went into a Nelson Family favorite weeknight meal: bean and sausage stuffed acorn squash. We love the balance between the sweet squash and the spicy filling. This meal is not only super healthy, but it takes only about 15 minutes total to make. Win-win!

Spicy Sausage and Bean Stuffed Acorn Squash - feeds 2

  • 1 large acorn squash
  • 2 links of Mexican-spiced vegan sausage, crumbled (I used Field Roast)
  • 1 cup pinto beans
  • olive oil for cooking
  • 1/4 cup red chile sauce, plus extra for garnish (I use Santa Fe Ole, which is available online)


Start with a large acorn squash. Slice it in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash face down in a microwave safe dish and cook for 7-8 minutes or until tender.
Such a beautiful veggie!
Next, heat your sausage and beans in a skillet with a little olive oil. When hot, stir in the 1/4 cup of red chile sauce.
Canned beans are fine, but leftover homemade beans from the last post are better!
My current favorite vegan red chile sauce
Place each squash half in a sufficiently large bowl. Split the filling between the two halves (it will overflow!). Drizzle with extra red chile sauce, and enjoy!

Delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment